Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church

 
 
Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church Marker
Inscription. This congregation was organized in 1869 by the Rev. Richard Robert Haywood, an early Texas missionary in the African Methodist Episcopal church. Trustees of the church bought land at this site in 1881, and worship services were held in a small wooden building until this sanctuary was constructed in 1904. Erected during the Rev. J.A. Jones’ pastorate, the Carpenter Gothic style building features a corner tower and lancet windows.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984

 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13895.)
 
Location. 30° 38.403′ N, 97° 40.902′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of West 4th Street and West Street, on the right when traveling west on West 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 508 W 4th St, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Macedonia Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Georgetown Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Site of Marshall-Carver High School (about 600 feet away); Railroad Produce Warehouse
Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
2. Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church
(about 700 feet away); Williamson County Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); M.B. Lockett Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Judge Greenleaf Fisk (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chief Justice John Edward Hickman (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement