Springfield in Greene County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Built by the Abou Ben Adhem Temple, the Shrine Mosque was dedicated November 3, 1923. Heckenlively and Mark were architects and Stanley Uthwatt created the stained glass windows. In addition to serving the Shrine, the Mosque has been the cultural center of importance. Lower level was renovated in 1975.
Erected 1976 by Springfield Historical Sites Board and City-County Bicentennial Committee.
Location. 37° 12.543′ N, 93° 17.179′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Missouri, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Louis Street and Kimbrough Street, on the left when traveling east on St. Louis Street. Touch for map. Marker is on Historic Route 66. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 East St. Louis Street, Springfield MO 65801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gillioz Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Store in Greene County (approx. ¼ mile away); First Post Office in Springfield (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle of Springfield (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Landers Theatre Butterfield Overland Stage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilshire Apartments (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Also see . . .
1. Abou Ben Adhem Shrine History. (Submitted on June 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Shrine Mosque National Register Nomination. (Submitted on June 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Entertainment • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.