Hawthorne in Mineral County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Carson & Colorado
R. R. Freight Depot
Erected by Division of Historic Preservation and Archeology, Hawthorne Lodge No. 1704, Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks. (Marker Number 237.)
Location. 38° 31.466′ N, 118° 37.442′ W. Marker is in Hawthorne, Nevada, in Mineral County. Marker is on East 5th Street (U.S. 95) near F Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 595 E 5th Street Hawthorne, NV 89145, Hawthorne NV 89415, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hawthorne (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Pillar of Light To Perpetuate the Memory of our Valiant Defenders of Freedom (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mineral County (approx. 14 miles away).
Also see . . . New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar, readability, and content. The marker now says it is the first railroad building constructed in Hawthorne and the building served as the general store of J.E. Adams and Senator John H. Miller. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2011. This page has been viewed 361 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2011, by Mh of Las Vegas, Nevada. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.