Stateburg in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Church of the Holy Cross
chapel of ease to St. Mark's Episcopal Church,
Clarendon County. In 1788, it was granted a
charter as the Episcopal Church of Claremont.
On September 11, 1850, the cornerstone of
the present church was laid on the site
of the old church and the name
changed to the Church Of The Holy Cross. The
church is an unusually lovely mid-nineteenth
century structure of pise de terre (rammed
earth) built in a simple but highly refined
gothic revival style by the architect
Edward C. Jones, Charleston, S.C.
Erected 1999 by The Teige Cantey Chapter South Carolina Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Location. 33° 57.218′ N, 80° 31.925′ W. Marker is in Stateburg, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker can be reached from North Kings Highway (State Highway 261). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 335 North Kings Highway, Sumter SC 29154, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Church of the Holy Cross (within shouting distance of this marker); Joel Roberts Poinsett (within shouting Church of the Holy Cross Stateburg / Holy Cross Churchyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Stateburg (approx. half a mile away); Early Charleston Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Tennent (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of Beech Creek / The Civil War Ends In S.C (approx. 1.4 miles away); High Hills Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stateburg.
Regarding Church of the Holy Cross. National Register of Historic Places:
Holy Cross Episcopal Church *** (added 1973 - - #73001732)
Also known as Church of the Holy Cross
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Gothic Revival
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦ Current Function: Religion
Built in 1850, Holy Cross is of Gothic Revival design and is constructed of yellow pise de terre (rammed earth). Walls constructed of pise de terre (minimum depth of 13 inches) are almost impervious to earthquakes. Edward C. Jones of Charleston, designer of Holy Cross, was one of the best known South Carolina architects of the antebellum era. The cruciform Holy Cross is considered one of Jonesís most unusual designs. It resembles an Old World Parish Church. The high-pitched roof is of red tile. The interior features Bohemian stained glass windows designed by Violett de Duc and a rare Henry Irwin organ. Holy Cross is significant in that it, along with various other structures in Stateburg, comprises the largest complex of pise de terre buildings in the United States. Buried in the graveyard of Holy Cross is Joel R. Poinsett, a U.S. Congressman, Minister to Mexico, Secretary of War, and first president of the forerunner of the Smithsonian Institution, who is best remembered for bringing the poinsettia flower to this country from Mexico. Listed in the National Register November 7, 1973; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 7, 1973. ( S.C. Dept. of Archives and History )
Also see . . . A Brief History of The Church of The Holy Cross. The Church of the Holy Cross has weathered (Submitted on June 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 555 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9. submitted on May 13, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 10. submitted on February 3, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.