Chippewa Falls in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sunny Valley School
The first classes began in January of 1904 with Louise Small as the teacher. The standard pay at the time was $35.00 per month and teachers had to build their own wood fires for heat, keep the school clean, and take care of their own room and board while teaching eight grades. With no paved roads or snow plows, 99 percent of the children walked to school, many over two miles one way.
Sunny Valley was closed in the early 1960's when the district consolidated with the Chippewa Falls City Schools. In 1965 it was given to the Chippewa Falls Lions Club who had it moved and donated to the City of Chippewa Falls for Irvine Park. Park Superintendent Ralph Wolfe was responsible for its placement here on this foundation.
Marker Sign #39
Erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 39.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in Irvine Park. Marker is in this post office area: Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Norwegian Log Home (a few steps from this marker); Bear Den Road Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); William Irvine (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Memory of Old Abe (approx. 0.4 miles away); Irvine Park Drive Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Chippewa Valley Electric Railway Co. (approx. half a mile away); Northern Wisconsin State Fair (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chippewa Falls.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 544 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.