Burlington in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
North Carolina Railroad
Erected 1972 by Office Of Archives And History. (Marker Number G 89.)
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 36° 5.627′ N, 79° 26.201′ W. Marker was in Burlington, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker was on Main Street. Touch for map. Located at the Historic Depot in downtown Burlington, at the intersection of S. Main Street and W. Front Street. Marker was at or near this postal address: 200 South Main Street, Burlington NC 27215, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Johnston Moves West (within shouting distance of this marker); Norfolk & Western Caboose #518654 (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Alamance (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pine Hill Cemetery - Veterans Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Dentzel Carousel (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pioneer Plant (approx. 1.3 miles away); J. Spencer Love (approx. 1.3 miles away); Henry Jerome Stockard (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
More about this marker. The Historic
Beside the depot is a time capsule, placed in 1979, which contains memorabilia and historical information dating back to the time when Burlington was Company Shops. It is to be opened in 2079.
Behind the depot, a restored red caboose is open to the public. Times vary.
Inside the depot is a wall mural depicting scenes from Burlington's history 1893 - 1993. An outdoor amphitheater with a fountain is available for concerts, family gatherings and weddings.
Regarding North Carolina Railroad. In his book, Company Shops: The Town Built By a Railroad, Durward T. Stokes relates the history of early Burlington and the railroad that runs through the town.
Construction began on the NC Railroad in 1851. There was soon a pressing need for a maintenance and repair facility, and in 1856, Company Shops was created.
The original Company Shops railroad repair facilities were located
The essential buildings were completed by 1859 and included two machine shops, a carpenter shop and a blacksmith shop. All of these were brick two-story buildings. A dry kiln and a foundry, both of brick, were built nearby. The wooden engine shed, or "roundhouse" was actually rectangular, and when it was replaced with a brick structure a few years later, it was said to be the largest brick structure in the state.
The first engine built at Company Shops was completed in 1868.
The North Carolina Railroad operated repair facilities here until 1886, and the shops were reopened briefly between 1890 and 1897. The family of James M. Atwater preserved the turntable from the mid 1930s until 1981 when it was moved to this depot site.
The town's name was changed to Burlington in 1887 and freight and passenger trains still rumble through on the tracks. The historic depot is no longer used, there is a modern train station across the street.
Additional keywords. Alamance, Train, Depot, Repair, James M. Atwater Family, Piedmont, Central,
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,675 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on June 10, 2011, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 4, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina. 10. submitted on June 10, 2011, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina. 11. submitted on April 1, 2017, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.