LaPorte in LaPorte County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
LaPorte County Courthouse
County formed by Indiana General Assembly and La Porte selected county seat 1832. Three courthouses built on this site: first 1833, second 1847-1848. Present courthouse constructed 1892-1894 of Lake Superior Red Sandstone; designed by Brentwood S. Tolan of Fort Wayne in Richardsonian Romanesque Style. Incorporates cornerstone from 1848 courthouse.
Features include open-arched central tower, stained glass window transoms, wood paneling, and gilded friezes. Goddess of Justice stained glass graces courtroom. Tower has 272-piece glass skylight; gargoyles decorate exterior. Included in Downtown La Porte Historic District, listed in National Register of Historic Places 1983.
Erected 2001 by Indiana Historical Bureau, LaPorte County Board of Commissioners, and LaPorte County Historical Society, Inc. (Marker Number 46.2001.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 36.671′ N, 86° 43.304′ W. Marker is in LaPorte, Indiana, in LaPorte County. Marker is on Lincolnway west of Michigan Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War Memorial Tree LaPorte County (Indiana) (within shouting distance of this marker); Meinrad Rumely (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Rumely Companies (about 600 feet away); The Lincoln Highway (about 700 feet away); The Lincoln Highway in La Porte County (about 700 feet away); First Log Cabin in LaPorte (about 700 feet away); Site of Meinrad Rumely's Blacksmith Shop (about 700 feet away); LaPorte's Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaPorte.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 546 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 13, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.