Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Dallas Morning News
Col. Belo's Dallas paper was a success from the start, and by 1900 it exceeded the "Galveston News" in circulation, size and advertising revenue. "The Dallas Morning News" soon acquired its morning rival, the "Dallas Herald," which had been founded as the "Cedar Snag" by James Wellington Latimore in 1849. G. B. Dealey, who had played a major role in the establishment of "The Dallas Morning News" and had served as its first business manager, became president of A. H. Belo & Co. in 1920. In 1926, he bought control of the corporation.
Under Dealey's management, "The News" continued its leadership among Texas newspapers. It long has expressed an active interest in local, state, and national affairs, taking a firm stand against the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s, and over the years successfully encouraging integrity in government, efficiency in city management, water conservation, and a strong educational system. "The Dallas Morning News" has been an important part of the heritage of the city and the state.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical
Location. 32° 46.544′ N, 96° 48.405′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Young Street and South Houston Street on Young Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 508 Young Street, Dallas TX 75202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A. H. Belo Corporation (here, next to this marker); Site of First Ferry and Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza (approx. ¼ mile away); Dealey Plaza (approx. ¼ mile away); Kennedy Assassination Route (approx. ¼ mile away); Dallas County Records Building (approx. ¼ mile away); The Grassy Knoll (approx. ¼ mile away); Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.