Brookfield in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
City of Brookﬁeld
First organized church was the present St. Dominicís 1843 the first Catholic Church in the county. Methodists began meeting here the following year.
Railroads: The Milwaukee and Mississippi arrived at Brookfield Junction in 1851 and the Milwaukee, Watertown and Baraboo in 1854. Both have long since been in the St. Paul and Pac. R.R. system. In 1853 a depot was built which in 1867 was replaced by the present one.
Shopping centers: Oldest of many is Brookfield Junction. Itís postal name was Brookfield Centre. Here in the 1850s came the two railroads, hotels, stores, shops, sawmill and post office. It retains today much of the atmosphere and color of its early years.
When Brookfield Square opened in 1967 it was one of the largest shopping centers in Wisconsin. Incorporated as a city in 1954 its 17 square miles were once part of the old Town of Brookfield. The City Hall was erected in 1960.
From the soil of the wide acres of the pioneer farms was here sprung a new city
Spacious, beautiful and forward looking.
Erected 1999. (Marker Number 02-03.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker located in parking lot of Wirth Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2585 Pilgrim Parkway, Brookfield WI 53005, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); The William Donaldson House (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Dousman-Dunkel Behling Inn (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Oak Hill Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Oak Hill Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Milwaukee County's First Airport (approx. 3.2 miles away); George L. Clarke House (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookfield.
Categories. • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 837 times since then. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.