Town of Vernon in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Town of Vernon
On Nov. 1, 1836 Prucius Putnam, John Dodge & brothers Curtis & Orien Haseltine, Jr. arrived from Vermont, & built a log hut near present day Hwy L & Maple Ave. They named the area “Vernon”.
Arriving settlers consisted of Scots, Germans, Irish & Norwegians, primarily coming from Vermont & New York.
The prairie soil was turned under for farming. The maples were tapped for sugar and used, along with the oak & black walnut, to build houses and plank roads. Allen Haseltine was the first settler child born here in 1838.
A highly crafted cobblestone home was erected in 1842.
The Vernon Reformed Presbyterian Church arose in 1854. In 1857 the Waukesha County Poor House began its 40 years of service by accepting an abandoned child. In 1896 various churches, grocery stores, 7 cemeteries & 6 post offices had been established in Vernon.
Erected 1998 by Big Bend/Vernon Historical Society / Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 31-04.)
Location. 42° 52.93′ N, 88° 14.868′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: W249 S8910 Center Road, Big Bend WI 53103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dodges Corners Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Village of Big Bend (approx. 2 miles away); Haseltine Cobblestone House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Maney Ridge Prehistoric Effigy Mounds (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Vernon (approx. 2.7 miles away); Heaven City (approx. 2.8 miles away); Mukwonago (approx. 4.5 miles away); The Devil's Teapot (approx. 5.3 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 872 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.