Town of Lisbon in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Town of Lisbon
Lisbon had its first official meeting April 15, 1842 in the future Lisbon Plank Schoolhouse. Lisbon, being part of “Cow County, U.S.A.” had many large dairy farms.
Industry also grew from glacial gravel deposits and the underlying Niagara Reef dolomite limestone. The Lisbon population was 1,158 in 1940 and 9,125 in 2000. A sesquicentennial party of the coming of the first settler was celebrated in 1986. Lisbon celebrated the 2000 Millenium by putting a time capsule below, to be opened on May 15, 2036, the 200th year of the coming of the first settler.
Erected 2000 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-05.)
Location. 43° 8.927′ N, 88° 14.587′ W. Marker is in Town of Lisbon, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of Good Hope Road and Hillside Road, on the left when traveling east on Good Hope Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sussex WI 53089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Sixteen School (within shouting distance of this marker); Zion Evangelical Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); St. Albanís Episcopal Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Woman in Town of Lisbon (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Sussex (approx. 1.7 miles away); Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon (approx. 2 miles away); Plainview School No. 4 (approx. 2.7 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.