John Edwards 1748-1837 / Westwood
John Edwards 1748-1837
As early legislator, Edwards was member of the Virginia House of Delegates in 1781-83, 1785, 1786. He was a delegate to the convention to ratify Federal Constitution, June 1788, and to conventions that separated Kentucky from Virginia. Edwards served as a representative to the 1792 convention which framed the first constitution of Ky. Over.
Six miles west on Brentsville Road on Cooper's Run is the site of the home of John Edwards, one of Kentucky's first two United States senators, 1792-1795. In Virginia he married Susannah Wroe and came to Ky. in 1780. He served in militia and became first clerk of Bourbon County. Elected to Ky. House of Representatives, 1795; then to Ky. Senate, 1796-1800. See over.
Erected 1982 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 1722.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 12.77′ N, 84° 14.986′ W. Marker is in Paris, Kentucky, in Bourbon County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 460), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Bourbon County Courthouse
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bourbon County, 1786 (a few steps from this marker); William Holmes McGuffey (within shouting distance of this marker); Duncan Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); CSA at Paris, 1862 (within shouting distance of this marker); Eades Tavern (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cane Ridge Meeting House (approx. 4½ miles away); Bourbon Whiskey / Jacob Spears (approx. 5 miles away); Johnston's Inn (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Also see . . . John Edwards - Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. (Submitted on June 24, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 577 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.