Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Church of the Holy Family
This is the mother church of Roman Catholicism in this area, serving as the only Catholic Church in Columbus from 1880 to 1958. The first Catholic church, the Church of Sts. Philip and James, was built in 1835 on what is now Chapel Street on one of the original lots designated for churches when Columbus was founded in 1828. Early missionary efforts from Sts. Philip and James reached Decatur and Terminus (now Atlanta), Macon, Eufaula, and Apalachicola, Fla. Missionaries visited these stations by rail, riverboat, oxcart or even by foot, quarterly or twice yearly. First resident pastor was Rev. James Graham.
The parish relocated to this site when the new church was dedicated May 12, 1880, and the name changed to The Church of The Holy Family. The Gothic-Byzantine structure was designed by architect Daniel Matthew Foley who was born in Dublin, Ireland. This church was built on property given by the Sisters of Mercy. The parish education building is located on the site where their convent and the school, St. Joseph’s Academy, stood from 1870 to 1964. This is the only downtown church with a grave located on its grounds. Rev. Michael Cullinan, a pastor of Sts. Philip and James, was buried here just east of the church’s main entrance.
Location. 32° 28.111′ N, 84° 59.29′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 12th Street and Veterans Parkway (U.S. 27), on the left when traveling west on 12th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 12th Street, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philip Trammell Shutze (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Memorial Day (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martin J. Crawford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oglethorpe House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 712 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on June 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on June 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.