Washington in Nevada County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1970 by E Clampus Vitus, Wm. Bull Meek – Wm. Morris Stewart, Chapter No. 10.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 39° 21.552′ N, 120° 48.014′ W. Marker is in Washington, California, in Nevada County. Marker is on Washington Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15432 Washington Road, Washington CA 95986, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kohler Building (a few steps from this marker); Brimskill Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Elementary School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Washington (about 500 feet away); Ormonde (approx. 2.7 miles away); Emigrant Trail to Nevada City (approx. 3 miles away); The History of This Area (approx. 3 miles away); Alpha and Omega (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Description from Exploring Nevada County by the Nevada County Historical Landmarks Commission:
Hessel Buisman built the first hotel on this site in 1857. It was destroyed by fire in August 1867, along with neighboring businesses. Buisman replaced it with a two-story hotel in that same year. In 1887, Buismanís daughter Harminia and her husband, E. T. Worthley, inherited the hotel, which burned in April 1896. John J. Rogers bought the hotel in 1910 for $50, and in 1911 he installed a water pipeline across the river to the Nice and Latta ditch to furnish water for the town. In 1912, he used the water to generate the first electricity for the hotel. Thomas B. Williamson, who had purchased a half interest in the hotel for $10 in 1911, bought out Rogers in 1916, and then sold it to Pietro Orzalli. Orzalli sold the property to R. F. Wiliamson (brother of Tom) in 1925. In 1926, Emory J. Haverstock bought the hotel and added dormer windows on the top floor, using lumber salvaged from the fire-ravaged Dugan Hotel (also in Washington). Haverstock sold it to Clark and Edna Waite for $10 in 1939. In 1955, the hotel was sold for $10 to Harold Moneyhun, former owner of the Holybrooke Hotel in Grass Valley, and Edwin Furano of Nevada City. In 1968 Thomas E. Walsh used siding salvaged from
Also see . . . History of Washington. Occupied since 1849, this scenic site was once a flourishing mining town of 3,000. There were hotels, restaurants and stores with supplies for the miners. (Submitted on June 23, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Additional keywords. California Gold Rush
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 444 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 23, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.