Boardman in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. James Episcopal Church
The first home of the oldest Episcopal parish in the Connecticut Western Reserve, the St. James Episcopal Church was built between 1827 and 1828. Philander Chase, first Bishop of the Diocese of Ohio, consecrated it in 1829. The belfry and steeple were added in 1881. It was moved to this site from its original Market Street location in 1972 after the parish built a new church. Renamed the St. James Meeting House, it is the anchor of a community of historic buildings that includes the Beardsley-Walter-Diehm House (circa 1828), the Oswald Detchon House (circa 1840), and the Schiller-Chuey Summer Kitchen. The oldest known structure in Boardman, the St. James Meeting House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Why friends, we have a grand magnificent country 'round about us, where will we go on Gods footstool to find better? It is your town, of which we may all be proud.
Erected 2001 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Boardman Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-50.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 1.398′ N, 80° 38.992′ W. Marker is in Boardman, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Touch for map. Marker and church are in Boardman Township Park, south off Boardman-Poland Road (US Route 224), about one half mile east of Southern Boulevard. Marker is at or near this postal address: 375 Boardman-Poland Road, Youngstown OH 44513, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Southern Park Stables (approx. 1.6 miles away); Poland Academy and Poland Seminary (approx. 1.8 miles away); Peterson Park and Clock Tower (approx. 1.9 miles away); The History of Poland (approx. 1.9 miles away); Poland Village Hall (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Old Stone Tavern (approx. 1.9 miles away); Four Heroic Chaplains (approx. 1.9 miles away); President William McKinley's Boyhood Home (approx. 2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. History of St. James Episcopal Church. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historical Highlights of Boardman Township Park. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 443 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 26, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.