Pickens in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This house, built ca. 1856, originally sat 14 mi. W in the town of Pickens Court House, then the seat of Pickens District. It was the home of James Earle Hagood (1826-1904), Pickens District clerk of court, state representative during Reconstruction, and U.S. District clerk of court. In 1868, when the district was divided to create Pickens and Oconee Counties, he helped select the site for the "new" town of Pickens.
Erected 2011 by the Pickens County Historical Society. (Marker Number 39-15.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 N. Lewis St.,, Pickens SC 29671, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Hagood-Mauldin House (a few steps from this marker); Pickens (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew Pickens (within shouting distance of this marker); William M. Hagood (within shouting distance of this marker); In Honor of Elinor Knight (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Ladd Cureton (about 600 feet away); Hovie Alexander Nealy (about 600 feet away); Elihu Griffin (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pickens.
1. National Register of Historic Places:
Hagood--Mauldin House (added 1997 - - #97001185)
Also known as Irma Morris Museum of Fine Arts;Homestead Hall
104 N. Lewis St. , Pickens
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Person
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
Historic Person: Hagood, James Earle
Significant Year: 1868, 1904, 1856
Area of Significance: Architecture, Politics/Government
Period of Significance: 1900-1924,
Historic Function: Domestic
Historic Sub-function: Secondary Structure, Single Dwelling
Current Function: Recreation And Culture
— Submitted July 25, 2011.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2011, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.