Mahwah in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mahwah’s First Station
Built in 1871, the building served until 1902 and was moved from original site when four tracks were laid and grade crossing closed. Bought by A.J. Winter, it was used as a storehouse for fifty years. To preserve the landmark, The Mahwah Historical Society was founded in 1965 and the station removed to present site in 1967. Completely restored, it was dedicated as a town museum on Sept. 22, 1968 by Gov. Richard Hughes.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 22.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 5.658′ N, 74° 8.855′ W. Marker is in Mahwah, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Station Lane and Ramapo Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Old Station Lane. Touch for map. Marker is located next to the modern Mahwah train station. Marker is in this post office area: Mahwah NJ 07430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tree of Life (a few steps from this marker); Wanamaker Utility Shed (within Old Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Brake Shoe Foundry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hopper Gristmill Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); Laroe-Van Horn House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Rochambeau’s Encampment (approx. 1.4 miles away in New York); This Cannon “Independence” (approx. 1.4 miles away in New York). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mahwah.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 664 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.