Downieville in Sierra County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Cannon Point - California Volunteers Memorial
To the memory of
May 27, 1863 – May 27, 1931
Erected by Native Daughters of the Golden West, Parlor No. 36 & Native Sons of the Golden West, Parlor No. 92, Downieville, California.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 39° 33.461′ N, 120° 49.978′ W. Marker is in Downieville, California, in Sierra County. Marker is on State Highway 49, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker and monument are located at the western entrance to the town. The site is marked with a "Point of Historical Interest" sign. Marker is in this post office area: Downieville CA 95936, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Downieville (within shouting distance of this marker); Sierra County Sheriff’s Gallows (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sierra County, California (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mountain Howitzers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henness Pass Road - Downieville (approx. ¼ mile away); Hirshfeldter Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Downieville Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Masonic Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downieville.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a concrete base which supports the cannon.
Regarding Cannon Point - California Volunteers Memorial. The cannon weighs a ton and fired a 12 pound ball. Freighted to
Also see . . . Cannon Point. The cannon was purchased June, 1862 in San Francisco, by Dr. E. G. Bryant, a young physician and surgeon of Downieville. (Submitted on June 29, 2011.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 362 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.