Stillwater in Washington County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Washington County Courthouse
For the magnificent sum of $5, Socrates Nelson, a prominent Stillwater lumberman, and Mrs. Elizabeth M. Churchill offered the city a block of property on "Zion's Hill." By the time ground-breaking ceremonies were held in April, 1867, Augustus F. Knight, St. Paul's first resident architect, had been commissioned to design the building. His unique design reflects the Italianate style then so popular. Constructed of native sandstone faced with red brick, the courthouse features a projecting portico with two tiers of ten rounded arches.
Two local contractors, George M. Seymour and William M. May, supervised the construction which was completed during the winter and spring of 1869-70, despite the seemingly insurmountable difficulty of laying the imported English floor tiles in the correct pattern. The courthouse stands today as "an ornament to the city" and "a credit to the county."
[Seals of the Natural Resources Fund and The Minnesota Historical Society]
Erected 1968 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 3.088′ N, 92° 48.458′ W. Marker is in Stillwater, Minnesota, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Walnut Street West, west of 3rd Street South, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at the courthouse parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Pine Street West, Stillwater MN 55082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Minnesota Territory 1849 – 1858 / Washington County Takes Shape (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington County Public Land Donation (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers and Sailors Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Flank Howitzer (within shouting distance of this marker); Stillwater Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the Stillwater High School (about 400 feet away); Smithson Paper Box Company Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Simonet's Furniture and Carpet Company Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stillwater.
Also see . . .
1. Washington County, MN. Historic Courthouse. (Submitted on June 28, 2011.)
2. Washington County Courthouse (Minnesota). Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 28, 2011.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 512 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 28, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.