Iva in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
A Small Railroad Town
A "Great" Town
In 1886, the Savannah Valley railroad made its way into lower Anderson County. The depot town of Cook's Station was named for Dr. Augustus G. Cook, a local physician and businessman. The town was later called Iva in honor of Iva Cook Bryson, Dr. Cook's daughter. The settlement consisted of little more than a store, a grain mill or cotton gin, blacksmith shops, and a cottonseed oil mill. With the arrival of the railroad, the community went from a farming settlement, to a railroad community, and later became an industrial mill community when Jackson Mill was founded in 1906.
In 1985, the Town of Iva officially became a "Great Town" in South Carolina marking the beginning of the restoration of Iva. Outdoor recreational activities are numerous given its proximity to Hartwell, Russell, Secession, and Thurmond Lakes. Located only miles from downtown Iva is the Thomason-Bowie Outdoor Educational Farm that is open to the public.
Jackson Mill, once considered one of the strongest cotton mills in the South, was built by Thomas C. Jackson. At its peak, the mill boasted approximately 1500 workers and was the largest employer in this part of the county. Although the mill closed in the 1990s, the building remains standing and evidence of the mill village can still be found
The town of Belton was chartered in 1855 as a "child of the railroad." Today the revitalized town square invites shoppers and is also known as the "Tennis Capital of South Carolina," host of the annual Palmetto Championship.
Much like Iva, Honea Path began as an agricultural community and later became a railroad town. Most prominent on the town's landscape is the Chiquola Mill and nearby mill village.
Split Creek Dairy Goat Farm
Located on a few miles from Iva is the Split Creek Dairy Goat Farm. In addition to its world famous and award winning cheeses and fudge, the farm offers goat milk, goat milk soap, and art produced by one of the owners.
Erected 2010 by South Carolina National Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
Location. 34° 18.367′ N, 82° 39.8′ W. Marker is in Iva, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Front Street and East Broad Street, on the left when traveling south on East Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Iva SC 29655, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured 1965 (within shouting distance of this marker); Iva Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Iva Depot Mural (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Good Hope Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church (approx. 2 miles away); Generostee A.R.P. Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Moffettsville / Moffettsville Postmaster Appointments (approx. 2.9 miles away); Lowndesville Veterans Monument (approx. 6.6 miles away); Dean / Dean's Station (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Iva.
Also see . . .
1. Town of Iva. Iva, SC is located in the southern part of Anderson County and is populated by friendly folks who are proud of their rural heritage and progressive town. (Submitted on June 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Iva, South Carolina. Iva is a town in Anderson County, South Carolina, United States. (Submitted on June 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Savannah and Northwestern Railway. The Savannah and Northwestern Railway was a railroad in the U.S. state of Georgia. (Submitted on June 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Savannah Valley Railroad Trail. (Submitted on June 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,033 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on June 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21. submitted on July 1, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 22, 23, 24, 25, 26. submitted on June 30, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 27, 28, 29. submitted on July 1, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.