Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cohocton in Steuben County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 25, 2011
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Founded October 8, 1809 by Abijah Warren
Third church organized in Old Bath Presbytery.
 
Erected 1959 by New York State Education Department.
 
Location. 42° 30.029′ N, 77° 29.875′ W. Marker is in Cohocton, New York, in Steuben County. Marker is at the intersection of Maple Avenue and Church Avenue on Maple Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 Maple Avenue, Cohocton NY 14826, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cohocton Valley (approx. 0.9 miles away); Naples (approx. 8.5 miles away); First Church (approx. 10.1 miles away); Memorial - Canesque, Chief of the Senecas (approx. 10.1 miles away); a different marker also named Naples (approx. 10.1 miles away); First Local Red Cross (approx. 10.9 miles away); Site of First House in Dansville (approx. 10.9 miles away); Dansville Honors Its Veterans of All Wars (approx. 10.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  History of Cohocton, New York. It was not until 1807, that we have any record — that a sermon was preached in the town of Cohocton or in any of its present or former limits. In that year Elijah Parker
Wide view of the First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 25, 2011
2. Wide view of the First Presbyterian Church Marker
The marker stands in front of the today's First Presbyterian Church.
and Stephen Crawford, New England Congregationalists, came into town with their families and at once laid plans for religious services.
In 1808, the inhabitants met together and appointed Elijah Parker and Stephen Crawford to lead in public meeting.
In May, 1809, these few Christians were visited by Rev. Aaron C. Collins when about ten persons professed to join in church fellowship and in June they were visited by Rev. Abijah Warren with whom they agreed, he should preach for them and labor among them for the period of one year. The number was about twenty-five.
On October 8, 1809, they were organized into the First Congregational church of Cohocton.
(Submitted on June 30, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement