Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Willshire in Van Wert County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Willshire, Ohio

 
 
Willshire, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 25, 2011
1. Willshire, Ohio Marker
Inscription.
Founded by Capt. James Riley, 1821
Named for William Willshire
Original county seat of
Van Wert County
Post Office established 1823
First church organized 1829
Original public school building
erected in this park 1848
Railroad built 1876

 
Erected by Willshire Sesquicentennial.
 
Location. 40° 44.887′ N, 84° 47.545′ W. Marker is in Willshire, Ohio, in Van Wert County. Marker is on Walcott Street (U.S. 33) west of Sprague Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 Walcott Street, Willshire OH 45898, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Indian Reservation (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Wayne Trace (approx. 7.5 miles away in Indiana); History of Anthony Shane (approx. 8.1 miles away); Locating, Moving, and Restoration of the Anthony Shane Log House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Hedges Memorial Park (approx. 8.4 miles away); Ohio City Civil War Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away); Gene Stratton-Porter (approx. 8.9 miles away in Indiana); Adams County Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.9 miles away in Indiana).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Sesquicentennial plaque image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 24, 2011
2. Sesquicentennial plaque
“…and I have laid out a town.”
(Captain James Riley)
Willshire Sesquicentennial
150th Anniversary
Willshire, Ohio
1822-1972
Willshire Markers image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 24, 2011
3. Willshire Markers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement