Sandy in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Temple Granite Quarry
The granite used in the construction of the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City was quarried from a large field of huge boulders covering this area broken by nature's forces from adjacent cliffs.
The quarrying of these boulders was begun about 1862 by James C. Livingston, under supervision of John Sharp. The names of the faithful quarrymen who continued the work until the temple was finished in 1893 are enclosed in the monument.
Rough stones were hauled to the temple block suspended under great two wheeled carts drawn by ox-teams, until the railroad was built in 1872.
Erected 1934 by Boy Scouts of East Jordan Stake and Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association. (Marker Number 49.)
Location. 40° 34.318′ N, 111° 46.506′ W. Marker is in Sandy, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Little Cottonwood Road (Utah Route 209) and South Watsatch Boulevard (Utah Route 210). Touch for map. The marker is located in the parking area of the Temple Quarry Trailhead in the Wasatch National Forest. Marker is in this post office area: Sandy UT 84092, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Temple Stone Quarry Granite Settlement (approx. 1.6 miles away); Stairs Hydroelectric Power Plant (approx. 3.7 miles away); Cedar Tree (approx. 4.1 miles away); Ern and Molly Green Cabin (approx. 4.1 miles away); Silica Beds (approx. 4.1 miles away); Tithing House (approx. 4.2 miles away); Mining (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy.
Also see . . . Temple Quarry: 70-year-old monument moved and rededicated. By R. Scott Lloyd, Church News staff writer (10/02/2004). The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (Submitted on July 7, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. This page has been viewed 851 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.