Nyack in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Stone Church
Rockland County Society
to mark the oldest building dedicated to Godís service
now standing in the County of Rockland, New York
----- this -----
“Old Stone Church”
was erected in the year 1813 by a newly organized Society
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, formed in Upper Nyack.
Church lot was granted February 18th 1813, to the
first Board of Trustees constituted as follows:
William Palmer †† † † John Green † † †† James Palmer
Nicholas Williamson † †† † † † † † Garret Onderdonk
Also at the first meeting, it was resolved
“That we begin to build the church tomorrow morning”
The completed edifice was dedicated March 2nd 1814.
For many years this meeting house has been devoted to the “preaching of the word”
at a Unitarian Sunday School for the religious training of youth.
Erected by The Historical Society of Rockland County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
Location. 41° 6.217′ N, 73° 55.05′ W. Marker is in Nyack, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is on N Broadway, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is on the front of the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 347 N Broadway, Nyack NY 10960, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Upper Nyack Firehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hopper House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Oak Hill Cemetery (approx. ĺ mile away); Historic Underground Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); Nyack First Settlement (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Reformed Church of Nyack (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Underground Railroad (approx. one mile away); Couch Court (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nyack.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 490 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 7, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.