Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rose Hill in Lee County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Martinís Station

 
 
Martinís Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 29, 2011
1. Martinís Station Marker
Inscription. In March 1769 Joseph Martin led a party of men to the Powell Valley, and attempted to establish a settlement nearby. By that fall they abandoned the site after conflicting with Native Americans. Martin returned here with a party of men in early 1775 and built a fort, known as Martinís Station on the north side of Martinís Creek. The wooden fort contained between five and six cabins built about 30 feet apart with stockades between each building. This site was abandoned in June 1776 during further regional conflicts between settlers and Native Americans.
 
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-4.)
 
Location. 36° 40.641′ N, 83° 21.288′ W. Marker is in Rose Hill, Virginia, in Lee County. Marker is on Daniel Boone Trail (Business U.S. 58) just west of Bypass U.S. 58, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rose Hill VA 24281, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Mound (approx. 3 miles away); White Rocks (approx. 5.7 miles away); John Ball (approx. 6.3 miles away); Thompson Settlement Church
Martinís Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 29, 2011
2. Martinís Station Marker
(approx. 8.9 miles away); Doctor Stillís Birthplace (approx. 11.3 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker erected in the early 1930s with the same number but titled “Colonial Fort.” It read, “Near here Joseph Martin established a fort in 1768. It consisted of five or six cabins surrounded by a strong stockade. Indians soon forced the settlers to abandon this fort.”
 
Also see . . .  Revolutionary War—Martinís Station Fort—Lee County, VA. “For the 200 miles of the course of the road through the wilderness, there was neither Indian nor white settlement. There was no base of supplies and no refuge, save only at one spot, and that was Martinís Station in Powell Valley. That was what made Martinís services in the establishing of his station along the Wilderness Road so important.” (Submitted on July 8, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement