Near Jonesville in Lee County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Thompson Settlement Church
Erected 1938 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number K-6.)
Location. 36° 37.733′ N, 83° 12.322′ W. Marker is near Jonesville, Virginia, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Flanary Bridge Road (County Route 758) and Mount Moriah Road (County Route 665), on the right when traveling south on Flanary Bridge Road. Touch for map. It is 5 miles south of US 58 west of Jonesville. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesville VA 24263, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Doctor Still’s Birthplace (approx. 4.2 miles away); Jonesville Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 5 miles away); a different marker also named Doctor Still’s Birthplace (approx. 5.8 miles away); Jonesville (approx. 6.3 miles away); Lee County Virginia / Tennessee (approx. 7.8 miles away); Martin’s Station (approx. 8.9 miles away); Carter’s Raid (approx. 9.9 miles away in Tennessee); Indian Mound (approx. 11 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesville.
More about this marker. Back in 1938, Virginia did not erect historical markers on secondary roads. So why was this marker placed on a secondary road? It wasn’t. And it hasn’t been moved. In 1938 this roadway was Virginia Route 63, a primary road that ran to the Tennessee state line and continued—as Tennessee Route 63—west to Tazewell and points west. In Tennessee it is still Route 63, but by 1980s Route 63 in Virginia was truncated about 70 miles east at St. Paul and its former roadway became U.S. 58 Alt. and a series of county routes on either side of Alternate 58.
Also see . . . Thompson Settlement Church. There is a photo of this church on this page, which has a 1995 article by Dorothy Witt on the church. “The fifth and present church building was built in 1957 on an acre of land given by Earl and Alice Hedrick. The building included a sanctuary, Sunday School rooms, and basement for youth activities. In 1979, Cecil Horne deeded land for the parsonage home with a modern brick house erected.” (Submitted on July 9, 2011.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the church • Can you help?