Franklin Relic Hall - 1937
The building was constructed of timber cut by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The CCC, a federal relief program of the 1930ís provided work and vocational training for unemployed single young men. The CCC built roads, bridges and buildings and completed forestry projects on public lands. The Franklin Relic Hall is a landmark in the community and a tribute to Franklinís earliest settlers.
Franklin resident Elliott Butterworth was the force behind the preservation of relics in the community. Butterworth emigrated from England at age 16 and lived in Franklin from 1869 to 1912 where he operated a general store. During that time, he collected and assembled more than a thousand items of memorabilia related to Franklinís pioneer past, which he donated to the town of Franklin.
The Idaho Pioneer Association at the first Idaho Day celebration in 1910. In 1923, this group purchased the FCMI store to display the artifacts collected by Elliott Butterworth. When the collection outgrew the building, the group led an effort for construction of a new relic hall.
Erected 1937 by Idaho State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 42° 1.033′ N, 111° 48.05′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Idaho, in Franklin County. Marker is on E. Main Street just east of 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin ID 83237, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. FCMI Store 1858 (a few steps from this marker); S. Milton and Alba C. Webb House (approx. 6.8 miles away in Utah); Pioneer Ferry and Bridge (approx. 9.2 miles away); Bear River Massacre (approx. 10.2 miles away); In Memory of Ira Elias Merrill (approx. 12.6 miles away in Utah).
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by Vincent Cascio of Logan, Utah. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2011, by Vincent Cascio of Logan, Utah. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.