A. G. Wimpy, an early merchant in Dahlonega, purchased the property in 1856 in build an attractive home known as “Rose Hill”. “Uncle Archie” and “Aunt Nancy” had no children of their own but raised 10 orphans.
In 1900, the Wimpy homeplace was purchased by Dr. B. P. Gaillard, who came to Dahlonega in 1873 as professor of mathematics, latin and natural sciences of North Georgia Agricultural College. He remained on the faculty until 1922, a span of 49 years.
The fine antebellum home stood empty of years and burned in 1963. The lot was empty until purchased by the Dahlonega Baptist Church in 1991.
The bricks on the base of this marker are from the original entrance to the home.
Erected by Lumpkin County Historical Society.
Location. 34° 31.996′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Public Square (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lumpkin Court House (about 700 feet away); Dahlonega Mustering Grounds (approx. 0.2 miles away); Price Memorial Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Consolidated Gold Mines (approx. 0.7 miles away); Findley Ridge (approx. one mile away); "Gold Diggers' Road" (approx. 2.8 miles away); Calhoun Gold Mine (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dahlonega.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.