Brookville in Franklin County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This grandstand built 1922 to seat 1, 000 and serve fans of new Brookville semi-pro team. Twenty box seats included to help pay for construction. Central platform included for community activities. Facility later used for youth sports. Structure renovated 1992 for continuing use by community.
Baseball has been played in Brookville since at least 1867 when local amateur teams played out-of-town teams. A local team joined semi-pro Southern Indiana Baseball Association 1922 and other regional leagues in later years. Land given for the public park by Amos and Mary Butler 1907. Wooden grandstand built here 1914 seated 300.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Franklin County Historical Society, and 50 Years of Franklin County Football Committee 2001. (Marker Number 24.2002.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 25.487′ N, 85° 0.52′ W. Marker is in Brookville, Indiana, in Franklin County. Marker is on Mill Street north of East 9th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at the entrance of the 'Franklin County Youth Sports'
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Brookville Church and Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Brown Ray (about 600 feet away); Brookville College (about 700 feet away); The Purple Heart (about 700 feet away); Brookville's Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Goodwin Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brookville Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Courthouse Square (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookville.
Categories. • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 637 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 18, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.