Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hartford in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Van Buren County Poorhouse

 
 
Van Buren County Poorhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dennis Allen Burlingham, July 19, 2011
1. Van Buren County Poorhouse Marker
Inscription. This two and a half story brick building was constructed in 1884 as the county poorhouse and infirmary. Here lived the indigent and mentally retarded from Van Buren County. Able-bodied residents worked on the grounds and on the adjacent farm where they produced much of the food for the poorhouse. Operating from 1951 to 1958 as the county social welfare office, the building's altered function reflected society's changing methods of aiding the poor. The County Historical Museum now occupies the structure.
 
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division. (Marker Number 430.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 12.854′ N, 86° 7.02′ W. Marker is in Hartford, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker can be reached from Red Arrow Highway 0.2 miles from CR 681, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located on North side of Van Buren County Fairgrounds and just West of the intersection of Red Arrow Highway and CR 681. Entrance is from Red Arrow Highway. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6215 Red Arrow Highway, Hartford MI 49057, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
Van Buren County Poorhouse image. Click for full size.
By Dennis Allen Burlingham, July 19, 2011
2. Van Buren County Poorhouse
The Van Buren County Poorhouse now is occupied by a museum which houses many antique items and items of local interest.
flies. Hamilton Grange Hall / Hamilton Fair (approx. 7.7 miles away); Covert Library (approx. 9.3 miles away); Covert World War II Memorial (approx. 9.3 miles away); Baker Park (approx. 9.9 miles away); Decatur Township Hall (approx. 10.3 miles away); Sacred Heart of Mary Catholic Church (approx. 11.9 miles away); First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 13.8 miles away); Pickett's Corner (approx. 14.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker is on the outside wall of the building on an open front porch.
 
Categories. Charity & Public Work
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2011, by Dennis Allen Burlingham of Hartford, Michigan, USA. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2011, by Dennis Allen Burlingham of Hartford, Michigan, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement