Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wytheville in Wythe County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Johnís Lutheran Church

 
 
St. Johnís Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
1. St. Johnís Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription. German settlers formed a congregation here that was a center of Lutheranism in Virginia throughout the 19th century. The church built around 1800 was replaced by the present structure in 1854. The cemetery has distinctive stones dating from 1804 to the present. St. Johnís became a part of Holy Trinity Wytheville, in 1924.
 
Erected 1973 by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number FR-26.)
 
Location. 36° 57.666′ N, 81° 6.078′ W. Marker is in Wytheville, Virginia, in Wythe County. Marker is at the intersection of North 4th Street / Sony Fork Road (U.S. 52) and Exit 70 (Interstate 81), on the right when traveling north on North 4th Street / Sony Fork Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wytheville VA 24382, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Wytheville (within shouting distance of this marker); Boone Trail Highway Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wytheville (approx. 1.3 miles away); Edith Bolling Wilson (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wytheville Training School (approx. 1.4 miles away);
St. Johnís Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
2. St. Johnís Lutheran Church Marker
Robert Enoch Withers (approx. 1.9 miles away); Walter Crockett (approx. 2.5 miles away); Crockettís Cove (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wytheville.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Church. “In 1799, George Daniel Flohr, a native of Germany who came to America as a schoolmaster, arrived in Wythe County as a licensed minister after receiving training at Hebron Lutheran Church, Madison, Virginia. Father Flohr, as he was affectionately known, was called to be the first pastor of St. John Church where he served until his death in 1826.” (Submitted on July 23, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Johnís Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
3. St. Johnís Lutheran Church
St. Johnís Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
4. St. Johnís Lutheran Church
St. Johnís Lutheran Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
5. St. Johnís Lutheran Church Cemetery
George Daniel Flohr Log House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
6. George Daniel Flohr Log House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on July 23, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   4. submitted on July 22, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   5, 6. submitted on July 23, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of interesting headstones and monuments in cemetery • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement