Abingdon in Washington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Black’s Fort
Erected 1927 by Virginia Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number 48-K.)
Location. 36° 42.693′ N, 81° 58.305′ W. Marker is in Abingdon, Virginia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Pecan Street SE and East Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north on Pecan Street SE. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abingdon VA 24210, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Governor John B. Floyd (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stonewall Jackson Female Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barter Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Virginia Creeper (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martha Washington College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Landon Boyd (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abingdon (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abingdon.
Also see . . . History — Abingdon, Virginia. (Submitted on July 25, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 3. submitted on August 20, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of modern day view of location of Black's Fort (36 42.553, -81 58.260) • Can you help?