First United Methodist Church of Kountze
Soon after the town's creation, a group of worshipers led by the Rev. James S. Murphy joined together to organize a Methodist congregation. Land was acquired in 1887 from P.S. Watts, and plans were made to erect a sanctuary to be used by all denominations. The cornerstone was laid on May 11,1888, and the first church building in Kountze soon was completed. Worship services were held on alternate Sundays by Methodists and other denominations. Murphy continued to serve as circuit-riding minister to the Methodists until December 1888, when he was succeeded by the Rev. V.A. Godbey.
The Methodist Church in Kountze continued to grow over the years. Sunday School and missionary programs were organized, and in 1940 the congregation became a full charge in the denomination, with its own full-time pastor. A new sanctuary was built in 1951 to serve the growing congregation. The church has been a part of Kountze history for over a century.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11152.)
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Kountze (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hooks Abstract Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Braxton Bragg, C.S.A. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Courthouses of Hardin County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hardin County (approx. 0.3 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.