Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albuquerque in Bernalillo County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Old Town History

 
 
Old Town History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 22, 2011
1. Old Town History Marker
Inscription.
Front of Marker - English:
1706-The Villa of "Alburquerque" was founded by Don Francisco Cuervo y Valdes, Governor of the Spanish province of New Mexico. It stood on the Camino Real (Royal Road), which ran between Mexico City and Santa Fe. It became the regional seat of government for the Rio Abajo (lower river), as well as the areas agricultural center.

1821-Mexico declared its independence from Spain, New Mexico joined the new nation to the South, Alburquerque became a major stop on the Chihuahua Trail.

1846-General Kearny raised the flag of the United States of America over the Plaza. The Plaza area became the site of a major military outpost.

1862-Albuquerque was the site of a Civil War skirmish, and, for 36 days the Confederate capital of the Territory of New Mexico.

1880-The railroad arrived, locating 1.5 miles to the east in "New Town", and bringing with it new settlers and new building materials. By the turn of the century, "Old Town" had ceased to be the hub of downtown Albuquerque, but continued as a vital local center.

1900 to present-Old Town continues to be an active commercial, residential, and community center. At its heart is San Felipe de Neri Church and Old Town Plaza.

We welcome you to Historic
rear of Old Town History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 22, 2011
2. rear of Old Town History Marker
Old Town and hope you enjoy your visit.

Rear of Marker - Spanish:
Plaza Vieja Historia

1706-La Villa de “Alburquerque” fué fundada por el Gobernador de la Provincia Española de Nueva México, Don Francisco Cuervo y Valdes. La Villa estaba situada en el Camino Real, entre La Ciudad de México y Santa Fé. Alburquerque llegó a ser la sede regional del gobierno del Rio Abajo Tanto como el centro de agricultura del area.

1821-México declare su independencia de España, y Nuevo México se unió a la nuevo nación al sur. Alburquerque llegó a ser la parada principal del sendero de Chihuahua. Durante esta época, el deletreo del nombre cambió poco a poco a “Albuquerque”.

1846-El General Steven Kearny enarboló la bandera de Los Estados Unidos de América sobre la plaza, la que llegó a ser el lugar de una guarnicion militar principal.

1862-Albuquerque fué el sitio de una escaramuza de la Guerra Civil, y durante 36 dias, fué la capital del ejército Confederado del Territorio de Nuevo México.

1880-Llegó el ferrocarril y se estableció a 1.5 millas hacia al este en la "Plaza Nueva", y trajo nuevos pobladores y materiales de construcción. A fines del siglo, la "Plaza Vieja" dejó de ser el corazón de la ciudad pero continuó como area principal.

1900
Old Town Plaza-Tradesmen selling their wares image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 19, 1996
3. Old Town Plaza-Tradesmen selling their wares
al presente
-La Plaza Vieja continúa como residencial y comercial activo. En el centro está la iglesia San Felipe de Neri.

¡Bienvenidos a la histórica Plaza Vieja, esperamos que disfruten esta visita!
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro marker series.
 
Location. 35° 5.717′ N, 106° 40.238′ W. Marker is in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in Bernalillo County. Marker is at the intersection of Romero Street NW and Old Town Road NW, on the left when traveling south on Romero Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albuquerque NM 87104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Felipe de Alburquerque (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Skirmish of Albuquerque (about 400 feet away); Confederate Soldiers (about 400 feet away); In This Plaza Were Enacted (about 400 feet away); Casa de Armijo (about 400 feet away); Mountain Howitzers (about 400 feet away); San Felipe De Neri (about 400 feet away); Albuquerque (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albuquerque.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Old Town Plaza-Tradesmen selling their wares image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 19, 1996
4. Old Town Plaza-Tradesmen selling their wares
Old Town History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 22, 2011
5. Old Town History Marker
Old Town History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 22, 2011
6. Old Town History Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 853 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   5, 6. submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement