Dutcher Lodge No. 193 / Douglas
Dutcher Lodge No. 193
Masons from Douglas, Fennville, and Saugatauk chartered Dutcher Lodge No. 193 on January 19, 1867. From 1867 to 1870 they held meetings in a building owned by Worshipful Master Thomas Dutcher. In 1875, the western portion of this building was constructed on land cleared of a cemetery. Lodge members used the second floor, leaving the first floor available for government and civic meeting. The building was doubled in size with the construction of the eastern half in 1902. That section became known as the village hall. Douglas's fire truck was parked in the lower level until 1969. Dutcher Lodge is a rare example of a Masonic lodge still in use a century after its construction.
Douglas began as two communities separated by present day Center Street. Jonathan Wade platted Dudleyville, named for his brother Dudley Wade, on the south side of "Centre" in 1860. In 1861, William F. Dutcher platted the town of Douglas on the north side of Centre. Dutcher named it for his hometown on the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea. The original plat consisted of the area bounded by Union, Chestnut, Water and Centre Streets. The two towns were incorporated as the village of Douglas in 180. Dutcher's son Thomas, a prosperous lumber mill owner built a three-story commercial and residential structure downtown
Erected 1997 by Michigan Historial Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1239.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 38.62′ N, 86° 12.171′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Michigan, in Allegan County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street and Union Street, on the left when traveling east on Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is clearly visible from Center Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 86 Center Street, Douglas MI 49406, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Asa Goodrich House (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Historic Douglas (within shouting distance of this marker); Douglas Union School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old School House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mt. Baldhead (about 400 feet away); Sarah M. Kirby House (approx. ¼ mile away); Singapore, Michigan (approx. 0.8 miles away); Saugatuck Engine House (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
More about this marker.
There is a marker on the ground just in front of the Dutcher Lodge No. 193 side that states a time capsule was buried there in 2006.
Also see . . . Douglas Michigan at Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 1, 2011, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2011, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2011, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.