Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Spring Tavern

 
 
Old Spring Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Diane Booth, July 10, 2010
1. Old Spring Tavern Marker
Inscription. Stage coach station on road to early lead mines - built 1854

Home of Gorham family 1860-1922
 
Erected 1929 by the John Bell Chapter D.A.R.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 43° 2.998′ N, 89° 26.239′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on Nakoma Road 0.1 miles south of Monroe Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is located on a stone wall in front of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3706 Nakoma Road, Madison WI 53711, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Spring Hotel (here, next to this marker); Plough Inn (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Plough Inn (approx. mile away); Glenwood Children's Park (approx. mile away); Nakoma (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jacobs House I (approx. 0.6 miles away); John M. Olin (approx. 0.7 miles away); University of Wisconsin-Madison Arboretum (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Old Spring Tavern. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The Spring
Old Spring Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Diane Booth, July 10, 2010
2. Old Spring Tavern Marker
Photo of house and plaques on wall designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
Tavern is the oldest building in Nakoma and one of the oldest in Madison. It was built by Charles Morgan, a native of Connecticut who came to the western frontier to improve his health. From 1860 to 1895, the Gorham family used the building as an inn, serving travelers journeying between Milwaukee and Platteville on the historic road of which Nakoma Road is now a part. The Tavern sits on a large, steeply sloping lot. Its most visible facade, the one with the two-story veranda added in the 1920s, faces east toward Nakoma Road, but the Council Crest side is the original front of the house. This fine example of the Greek Revival style is built of brick made from clay dug from the slope behind the house and fired in a kiln that Morgan erected near the Duck Pond just across Nakoma Road. Typical Greek Revival features include returned eaves, multi-light double-hung windows, and a main door enframed with side lights and a transom light above."
 
Also see . . .  Old Spring Tavern. Wisconsin Historical Society entry for the house. (Submitted on August 3, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 748 times since then and 148 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2010, by Diane Booth of Madison, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement