Stanley in Page County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“Here is peace and quietude”
“Here is peace and quietude.”
Shortly after his election in 1928, Herbert C. Hoover and his wife, Lou Henry, expressed the desire for a weekend retreat – a place where they could find respite from the demands of Washington life and be rejuvenated by “the blessings of nature.”
Here among the trees and trout streams they established their rustic summer camp.
In the years since the Hoovers left Washington, Rapidan Camp has undergone many changes, the most drastic in the early 1960s when 10 of the 13 original buildings were removed.
In 1928, a dense canopy of trees covered the area. The shade provided the much cooler temperatures the Hoovers sought in the days before air-conditioning. The canopy was dominated by old-growth Eastern Hemlocks that were killed by an evasive insect, the hemlock woolly adalgid. Shenandoah National Park is working to save the remaining few hemlocks and restore character and beauty of the Hoover-era Rapidan Camp.
Today visitors can see an exhibit in the Prime Ministerís cabin and tour the presidentís cabin as part of a Ranger Program. The Brown House has been restored and refurnished to capture the atmosphere created by Mrs. Hoover for their many guests. The Creel serves as housing for volunteer
The Hooversí first night at camp was May 18, 1929. The presidential accommodations were five brown army tents on wooden floors. Despite later becoming a solid-sided building, the name “Five Tents” stuck.
Mrs. Hooverís original instructions called for “good board flooring and a roof, with a boarded strip extending up from the floor perhaps three or four feet, with sides composed of canvas curtains that let up and down.” However, the Hoovers quickly became fond of the camp and decided to make their “tent village” more permanent, replacing the canvas walls with board siding. By early August the Hoovers were already using the camp for official meetings. Their precious retreat soon became an outdoor extension of the nationís capital.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 38° 29.445′ N, 78° 25.234′ W. Marker is in Stanley, Virginia, in Page County. Marker can be reached from Rapidan Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at Rapidan Camp in Shenandoah National Park, at the end of Rapidan Road. Marker is in this post office area: Stanley VA 22851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Hoover (here, next to this Rapidan Camp (here, next to this marker); Town Hall on Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Famous Town Hall Visitors (within shouting distance of this marker); “Five Tents” (within shouting distance of this marker); Recreational Pursuits (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mess Hall (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanley.
More about this marker. Several photographs appear on the marker. On the left are a picture of President Hoover and his wife sitting on the porch and a full view of the cabin. On the right are more modern photos showing the Presidentís cabin as it appears today, and interior photos of the Presidentís and the Prime Ministerís cabins.
Under the Five Tents section at the bottom of the marker are photos of the Five Tents area at various stages of its development.
Also see . . .
1. President Herbert and Lou Henry Hoover's Rapidan Camp (Submitted on August 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Biography of Herbert Hoover. The White House website. (Submitted on August 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.