Alexander City in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Freedmen moving to the new market town of Youngsville in the early 1870s occupied homes along a street they called Needmore Street. They relocated their house of worship from near the present junction of South Central Avenue and Cherokee Road to the Needmore neighborhood where Methodists and Baptists shared a building.
Missionaries from the Methodist Episcopal Church formed a congregation in Alexander City and, in 1873, Bishop Gilbert Haven appointed Rev. George Scott pastor of the new church. In 1876 the church became a charter member of the Central Alabama Conference.
In 1895 the Bethel Baptist Church congregation constructed a separate house of worship. Great Bethel Baptist Church attained distinction in the 20th century for its religious and social outreach programs under the leadership of its pastor of 45 years, Rev. Milton Nunn.
Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 57.105′ N, 85° 56.828′ W. Marker is in Alexander City, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is on Jefferson Street (Alabama Route 63) just south of A Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 692 Jefferson Street, Alexander City AL 35010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. First United Methodist Church 1872 (approx. half a mile away); The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874 (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Court Square (approx. 0.7 miles away); Alexander City: A Textile Community (approx. 0.7 miles away); The First Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Youngsville (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Okfuskee (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexander City.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 488 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.