Near Watrous in Mora County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Fort Union National Monument / Santa Fe Trail
Fort Union National Monument 1851-1891
Once the largest post in the Southwest, Fort Union was established to control the Jicarilla Apaches and Utes, to protect the Santa Fe Trail, and to serve as a supply depot for other New Mexico forts. The arrival of the railroad and the pacification of the region led to its abandonment in 1891.
Santa Fe Trail
The difficulty of bringing caravans over rocky and mountainous Raton Pass kept most wagon traffic on the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail until the 1840's. Afterwards, the Mountain Branch, which here approaches Raton Pass, became more popular with traders, immigrants, gold seekers, and government supply trains.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Santa Fe Trail marker series.
Location. 35° 52.67′ N, 104° 51.545′ W. Marker is near Watrous, New Mexico, in Mora County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 25 at milepost 375.5, 8.6 miles north of State Road 161. Touch for map. Marker is in the southbound rest area. Marker is in this post office area: Watrous NM 87753, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Santa Fe Trail (approx. 1.4 miles away); Watrous (approx. 10 miles away); Wagon Mound (approx. 12.6 miles away); Fort Union National Monument (approx. 14.5 miles away).
Regarding Fort Union National Monument / Santa Fe Trail. In 1910 the Daughters of the American Revolution placed 18 markers in New Mexico along the Santa Fe Trail from Raton Pass, on the Colorado/New Mexico border, to the "End of the Trail" in the Santa Fe Plaza. One of these markers is placed here near this marker.
Also see . . . Loma Parda. Loma Parda was the closest town to Fort Union. This youtube video tells it's story through beautiful photography. (Submitted on November 28, 2011.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 643 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 8, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 2. submitted on August 9, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on August 8, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on August 9, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5, 6. submitted on August 8, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.