Osgood in Ripley County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio and Mississippi Railroad
Chartered in Indiana 1848 by the General Assembly. The people of Ripley County voted March 1849 to provide local financial support for building the railroad. Surveys of the Eastern Division (Cincinnati to Vincennes) began 1852. The town of Osgood was named to honor O & M division engineer, A. L. Osgood.
Erected 2006 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Ripley County Historical Society, and Rising Sun Regional Foundation. (Marker Number 69.2006.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 7.774′ N, 85° 17.547′ W. Marker is in Osgood, Indiana, in Ripley County. Marker is on Railroad Avenue (O&M) east of South Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Fugitive Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abolitionists (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Andrews, Master Craftsman (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Harrison Cravens (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnson Watts (approx. 4˝ miles away); The Hanging Tree (approx. 4˝ miles away); Site of Masonic Hall (approx. 4˝ miles away); Ripley County Veterans Memorial (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Osgood.
Also see . . . Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 22, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 356 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 9, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.