Near Lincoln in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Spanish-speaking settlers established a town here in the 1850's, after the U. S. Army began to control the Mescalero Apaches. First known as Las Placitas del Rio Bonito, the name of the community was changed to Lincoln when Lincoln County was created in 1869.
Center of the turbulent Lincoln County War, 1876-79, a land and cattle feud marked by violence on both sides. Lincoln's historic landmarks include the Murphy-Dolan store, which later became the Lincoln County Courthouse, the store of John Henry Tunstall, whose murder set off the hostilities, and the house of Alexander McSween, where the final battle was fought.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Location. 33° 29.173′ N, 105° 22.635′ W. Marker is near Lincoln, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on U.S. 380 at milepost 98.5, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln NM 88338, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montano Store (approx. 0.6 miles away); Col. Dudley's Camping Place (approx. 0.6 miles away); Earliest Courthouse San Juan Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Torreon (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Squire Wilson's Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tunstall-McSween Store (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Dolan Home (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 628 times since then and 57 times this year. Last updated on August 11, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. Photos: 1. submitted on November 27, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 2. submitted on August 11, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on November 27, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.