Gold Hill in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Here was the Heart
of the City
A large building housed the
post office & stock exchange
dry goods & drug stores
meat & grocery markets
French modiste hair dresser
barber shop & doctors offices
Maynard Station Tavern
Location. 39° 17.584′ N, 119° 39.419′ W. Marker is in Gold Hill, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on North Main Street (State Highway 342). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1491 North Main Street, Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Assay Office and Justice Court (a few steps from this marker); Silver Star Lodge # 5 (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Engine Co. No.1 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gold Hill Hotel (about 400 feet away); I.O.O.F. Monument (about 400 feet away); Gold Hill Brewery (about 400 feet away); Gold Hill (about 400 feet away); Liberty Engine Company No. 1 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gold Hill.
More about this marker. Also located on the Maynard Station are two 'markers' entitled "If This House
1. If This House Could Talk - Marker #1 (See Photo #4)
As is the case with photographs of the town, contemporary information on Gold Hill for the years 1860 and 1861, the same years most of the building of Gold Hill and Virginia City was carried out, is non-existent or yet to be discovered.
The Maynard Blockís origins are obscure. It has been determined that the southern-most section was built first as a one-story structure to serve as a bank. The northern section was added in late 1863. In 1872, and a second story was added to the original one-story section, completing the building as a total two-story block. The mortar from the original roof was assayed at $27.50.
The building was named after its builder and owner, distinguished citizen and pioneer banker, Henry G. Maynard. Maynard was first an agent of Wells Fargo & Company and Express office, Gold Hill, before forming his own bank. Maynard operated the bank (with time off for a disastrous attempt to retire in Boston) with various partners until it closed in 1873 and was turned into a saloon. The once-wealthy Maynard died broke in the county hospital in Reno.
Over the years, the building had many different tenants, a hardware store, grocery
In its final years, the building housed a grocery store and the post office. It was torn down in 1940. Some remains of the building are visible behind todayís Maynard Station.
— Submitted August 22, 2011.
2. If This House Could Talk - Marker #2 (See Photo #5)
The History of Nevada
Early in 1862, H.G. Maynard opened a bank at Gold Hill, Nevada. He had previously been the agent of Wells Fargo & Co. express at Gold Hill. In the latter part of the same year, J.W. Flood became a partner of H.G. Maynard. Maynard & Flood continued in business about two years, when J.W. Flood went to San Francisco, where he became a trusted employee in the banking house of Donohoe, Kelley & Co. After having occupied that position for a number of years, he was proven to be defaulter
A short time after the return of Maynard to Gold Hill the bank of H.H. Flagg failed. Trustees were appointed and they succeeded in paying the creditors about sixty cents on the dollar. Maynard formed a copartnership [sic] with R.N. Graves – firm name Graves, Maynard & Co., and the bank was reopened. H.K. Mitchell was the silent partner. The business was not successful and ended in about two years after it was inaugurated. The building that had been a bank during all of the early years of Gold Hillís existence
— Submitted August 22, 2011.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 501 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.