Verona in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Bloomﬁeld Avenue School
The original brick building was constructed in 1881 and designed by Paul Botticher. Within the center of the front façade was positioned the brownstone "Verona Public School" tablet.
By the turn of the century the population of Verona had expanded. Additional school space was needed so in 1902 Henry King was hired to redesign the building. When completed, it was doubled in size. The 1902 cornerstone was located in the front-east corner of the building and the "Verona Public School" tablet was relocated to the center of the front façade. A rear wing was added in 1911.
For years this served as the only school building in Verona. In 1923 the original portion of what was then the new High School was built in the civic center. That was expanded in 1927 with the east and west wings and then named in honor of Dr. Whitehorne.
Sadly, in 1970, the Bloomfield Avenue School was demolished.
Location. 40° 49.921′ N, 74° 14.754′ W. Marker is in Verona, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is on Bloomfield Avenue east of Gould Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Verona NJ 07044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ancient Native American Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington’s Temporary Headquarters (approx. 1½ miles away); Rev. James Caldwell (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Fire House in Caldwell (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Burying Ground (approx. 1.7 miles away); 647 Bloomfield Avenue (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hillside School War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Cranetown (approx. 1.7 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2011, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 277 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2011, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.