Tyler County Courthouse
The Corpus Christi architectural firm of Glover and Hodges designed the new courthouse in typically eclectic Victorian-era fashion, incorporating elements of the Second Empire, Gothic and Mediterranean style. Despite problems during construction in 1891, contractors M.A. McKnight and McKnight completed the courthouse in early 1892. In 1935-1937 the county undertook a massive courthouse remodeling project with Works Progress Administration funds. Efforts to modernize the building at this time resulted in the removal of its more high style elements and the construction of a rear addition. Character-defining features from the original design, such as the windows and central tower remain, however.
The Tyler County courthouse stands as a symbol of county government and a center of public and governmental activities. Its evolution from original design to current appearance is a part of the county's history and
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12432.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 30° 46.512′ N, 94° 24.93′ W. Marker is in Woodville, Texas, in Tyler County. Marker is on W. Bluff Street (U.S. 190) west of U.S. 69, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W. Bluff Street, Woodville TX 75979, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodville Academy and Woodville College (here, next to this marker); Lt. Col. Phillip A. Work (here, next to this marker); Tyler County (a few steps from this marker); Home of James Edward Wheat (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line).
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.