Home of James Edward Wheat
Site for this residence was acquired by William G. McDaniel, who built earliest part of house (two rooms downstairs and two upstairs) in 1848. Most memorable feature was gallery over the front porch. On this gallery jurors used to sleep when housing was scarce during sessions of the county court.
The several owners after 1881 included T.C. Mann, father of 20th century U.S. Diplomat Thomas Mann.
In 1918 the house was purchased by James Edward Wheat (Jan.6, 1887 - Oct. 10,1968), son of Light Nowlin and Martha Bryant Wheat, and great-grandson of Dr. Josiah Wheat. James Edward Wheat, an attorney, was president of the Woodville School Board (1920-49), first mayor of the city after its incorporation in 1929, and member of Texas Centennial Commission, 1936. He served on Texas State Prison Board, 1942-48; was secretary (1950) and chairman (1951-52) of the Executive Committee, State Democratic Party; also first chairman of Texas State Historical Survey Committee (1953-59). He enlarged and improved this house on his ancestral land.
Erected 1970 by State historical Survey Committee. (Marker
Location. 30° 46.458′ N, 94° 24.948′ W. Marker is in Woodville, Texas, in Tyler County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Wheat Street and S. Charlton, on the right when traveling east on W. Wheat Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 W. Wheat Street, Woodville TX 75979, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodville Academy and Woodville College (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lt. Col. Phillip A. Work (about 300 feet away); Tyler County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Tyler County (about 400 feet away).
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.