Rocky Mount in Nash County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The ACL 303
May 27, 1902 • Built by the Pullman Car Company as an office car for the personal use of J.H. Moore, President of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. Moore named the car "Thanis".
1905 • Repossessed by the Pulman Car Company
1909 • Purchased by The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. Assigned the number 303 upon its arrival at the Emerson Shops in Rocky Mount in 1910.
1944-1945 • Refurbished and modernized at the Emerson Shops.
1961 • Purchased by The Laurinburg and Southern Railroad.
1975 • Donated to Camp Willow Run near Littleton, N.C.
1996 • Purchased by The City Of Rocky Mount with the assistance of William H. Kancheloe and renovated with funding from the N.C. Department of Transportation.
2002 • Dedicated to the preservation of Rocky Mount's railroad heritage and in recognition and appreciation of William H. Kancheloe's commitment and leadership.
Erected by Frederick E. Turnage Mayor, S. Clark Jenkins North Carolina Board of Transportation.
Location. 35° 56.234′ N, 77° 47.858′ W. Marker is in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, in Nash County. Marker can be reached from South Church Street. Touch for map. Located
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Douglas Franklin Davis (approx. 0.3 miles away); This Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Walter Fenner "Buck" Leonard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Around the "Y" Community (approx. half a mile away); Thelonious Monk (approx. half a mile away); Miss Anna Easter Brown (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dr. Junius Daniel Douglas 1874-1973 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Harold Bascom Durham, Jr. (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rocky Mount.
Also see . . . American Rails - Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. better known as simply the Rock Island (Submitted on August 16, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on December 16, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.