Francis Asbury's First Visit to S.C.
Francis Asbury (1745-1816), pioneer bishop of American Methodism, came to Cheraw in 1785, on his first visit to S.C. Asbury had just been ordained a general superintendent at the first General Conference in Baltimore on December 27, 1784. He was on his way to Charleston with Revs. Woolman Hickson, Jesse Lee, and Henry Willis. They crossed the Great Pee Dee River and arrived in Cheraw on February 17, 1785.
Asburyís party spent the night with a merchant here, a Methodist. Their hostís clerk told Rev. Jesse Lee (1758-1816) that his native New England needed circuit riders to preach the gospel there. He so impressed Lee with his earnestness that Lee later established churches from Connecticut to Maine. Asbury and his party spent “some time” in prayer here at St. Davidís Episcopal Church before continuing south.
Erected 2010 by The First United Methodist Church of Cheraw. (Marker Number 13-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 34° 41.753′ N, 79° 52.802′ W. Marker is in Cheraw, South Carolina, in Chesterfield County. Marker is at the intersection of
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain Mose Rogers (within shouting distance of this marker); Old St. David's (within shouting distance of this marker); The 71st Regiment of Foot (within shouting distance of this marker); Cheraw Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pee Dee Union Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Coulter Memorial Academy Site (approx. half a mile away); Dizzy Gillespie Birthplace (approx. ĺ mile away); Greene's Encampment / Sherman's March (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheraw.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 565 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.