Greenbush in Crawford County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Legend of Greenbush
According to legend, in 1869, Father Phillip Colleton was caught at this site by a furious hail and thunderstorm. The frightened priest took refuge under his saddle and vowed that if his life was spared, he would build a church on this spot. The fervent promise resulted in the establishment of St. Aloysius, Greenbush. The first Catholic Church erected in Crawford County was a wooden frame structure completed in 1871. Located on the Historic "Mission Road". The church was destroyed by a storm in 1877. Parishoners quarried limestone from Hickory Creek and completed the second church in 1881. The first resident pastor, Father F. M. Verdan, arrived in 1882 and served the church for fifty years. A larger church was needed and completed in 1907. The 1881 church was converted into a community building. The third church stood for 75 years as a landmark before it was struck by lightning and burned in 1982. The ruins remain. The 1881 church was renovated into a place of worship. Thus the second church became the fourth church on March 9, 1986 and served the people until it closed in 1993. Father Colleton's promise will continue.
Registered state historic site - February 26, 1994.
Erected by St. Aloysius Historical Society and Kansas Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kansas Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 30.855′ N, 94° 59.328′ W. Marker is in Greenbush, Kansas, in Crawford County. Marker is on 620th Avenue (State Highway 47) half a mile east of 60th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Girard KS 66743, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carnegie Library (approx. 7.9 miles away); Girard, Kansas (approx. 8 miles away); First State Bank of Girard (approx. 8 miles away); Bennefeld VFW Post 7479 War Memorial (approx. 8.1 miles away); "Kansas Vietnam Veterans Memorial" (approx. 8.1 miles away); Appeal to Reason (approx. 8.1 miles away); American Legion Post 26 Veterans Memorial (approx. 9 miles away); Osage Catholic Mission (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Legend of Greenbush. (Submitted on August 20, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.