Near Emory-Meadow View in Washington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Emory and Henry College
Erected 1939 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number I-7.)
Location. 36° 45.365′ N, 81° 50.005′ W. Marker is near Emory-Meadow View, Virginia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Highway (U.S. 11) and College Drive (County Route 737), on the right when traveling south on Lee Highway. Touch for map. It is just south of Exit 26, Interstate 81 in the Blacksburg community of Washington County. Marker is in this post office area: Emory VA 24327, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buchanan-Blakemore House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Tobias Smyth House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Emory & Henry College (approx. 1.2 miles away); Donald W. Tendick, Sr., Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles Mrs. Eliza M. Jones (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fort Kilmachronan (approx. 5.8 miles away); Landon Boyd (approx. 8 miles away); Washington County Courthouse (approx. 8.2 miles away).
Also see . . . A Brief History of Emory & Henry College. “From its founding until the outbreak of the Civil War, Emory & Henry enjoyed growth in enrollment, expansion of course offerings, and additions to the facilities. When the war came to Southwest Virginia, the college temporarily suspended classes, although the faculty remained on duty; the administration building was used as a Confederate hospital. Immediately after the Civil War, classes resumed, but the political and economic instability of that era made the late 1800ís a time of struggle for the college. With the inauguration of Richard G. Waterhouse as president in 1893 and an improvement in the regional economy, enrollment stabilized and the college began an ambitious building program.” (Submitted on August 20, 2011.)
Additional keywords. E&H
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 20, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the campus • Can you help?