Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pine Grove Rosenwald School
This school, built in 1923 at a cost of $2,500, is one of 500 African-American schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation from 1917 to 1932. It is a two-room school typical of smaller Rosenwald schools. From 1923 to 1950 an average of 40-50 students a year attended this school, in grades 1-7.
This school closed after the 1949-50 school year, when many districts were consolidated. It was sold to the Pine Grove Community Development Club in 1968, then to the Richland County Recreation Commission in 2002. Pine Grove Rosenwald School was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.
Erected 2011 by The Richland County Recreation Commission. (Marker Number 40-172.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 34° 3.74′ N, 81° 7.464′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Piney Woods Road (State Highway 40-674), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 937 Piney Woods Road, Columbia SC 29210, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker St. Andrew's Lutheran Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Paul Church / Oak Grove (approx. 3.2 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church / Dreher's Fort (approx. 3.3 miles away); Town of Irmo (approx. 3.6 miles away); Delingo School (approx. 3.8 miles away); Saluda Factory Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Saluda Factory Ruins (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mt. Hebron United Methodist Church / Temperance Hall (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Regarding Pine Grove Rosenwald School. National Register of Historic Places:Pine Grove Rosenwald School (added 2009 - - #08001397)
Also known as Pine Grove Colored School
937 Piney Woods Rd. , Columbia
♦ Historic Significance: Event
♦ Area of Significance: Black, Social History, Education
♦ Period of Significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924
♦ Owner: Local
♦ Historic Function: Education, Social
♦ Historic Sub-function: Meeting Hall, School
♦ Current Function: Work In Progress
The Pine Grove School is significant as a representation of the modernization of African American education in a period marked by massive discriminatory school funding. The school is also an important reminder of the educational improvements brought about by the philanthropic efforts of the Julius Rosenwald
Department of Archives and History)
Also see . . . Julius Rosenwald. Over the course of his life, Rosenwald and his fund donated over 70 million dollars to public schools, colleges and universities, museums, Jewish charities and black institutions. The rural school building program was one of the largest programs administered by the Rosenwald Fund. It contributed more than four million dollars in matching funds to the construction of more than 5,000 schools, shops, and teachers' homes in the South. These schools became informally known as "Rosenwald Schools." (Submitted on August 21, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 776 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on August 25, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 12. submitted on May 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.